Who doesn’t love chili? It’s a healthy, hearty, and tasty way to warm up your winter and chase away the cold weather “blahs.” This one’s a little something out of the ordinary. You can add more chilies for extra zip, and it pairs deliciously with all of your favorite chili toppings (and perhaps a local craft beer)! It’s also a great idea for New Year’s Eve!
- 6 chicken breasts, poached in 8 cups of chicken stock—shred with fingers and add back to retained water
- 4-5 cans of cannellini beans, undrained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 8-oz can of chopped green chilies
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano, crumbled
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 c (12 oz) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- Sour cream
While the chicken is poaching, sauté onion in olive oil, add chilies through pepper and sauté another 3 minutes. Add this and beans to stock with chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, add 1 cup of cheese, and stir to melt. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with rest of cheese, sour cream and salsa and cilantro.